On Wednesday, October 10, 2022, the new Bar Council visited the General Prosecutor of the Court of Appeal of the Centre, Jean Fils NTAMACK, assisted by the Head of the Judicial Professions Department, Mr. LOBE, and the General Prosecutor, Mr. KAMDOUM Raymond. The delegation was composed of Me NGO MINGOGOG Anne Yolande, the Bar’s Secretary, Me FOUEGOUM Adeline, Representative of the Bar President for the Centre, South and East Regions, Me KOUANOU Yves Kless and Me GBAKA Ernest, respectively President and Vice-President of the Bar’s General Assembly.
During this meeting, the state of relations between the Public Prosecutor’s Office and the lawyers practicing in the Central Region was reviewed. In a frank exchange, the lawyers enumerated a certain number of difficulties, among others
- The non-respect by the magistrates of the hours fixed for the hearings
- The slowness in obtaining requisitions from the prosecutor’s office
- Difficulties for the lawyers to meet with the heads of the prosecutor’s office
- The questioning and arrest of lawyers without informing the Order beforehand
- The prohibition for lawyers to access the investigation units with their cell phones
- The allocation of a space reserved for the Bar President in the parking lot of the General Prosecutor’s Office
The Prosecutor, after listening to the representatives of the lawyers, promised to improve what can be improved at his level. As for the prohibition made to the lawyers to reach the places of investigations with their cell phones, he recognized the difficulty to bring a definitive solution there being understood that these units of police force and gendarmerie have other hierarchies than him, in particular the DGSN and the SED.
However, he also deplored certain abuses of the lawyers and asked the Bar Council to bring solutions.
It is strong of these good notes that the meeting between Mr. the General Prosecutor near the Court of appeal of the Center and the delegation of the Bar Association ended.
The Bar Secretary
Me NGO MINYOGOG Anne Yolande