Christian Daniel BISSOU
Medal Recipient of the Bar
Emeritus Member of the Bar Council
President of the Commission for Human Rights and Liberties
The Human Rights and Freedoms Commission of the Cameroon Bar Association is created by decision of the Bar President. This internal Commission of the Bar Association is an organization for consultation, observation, evaluation, dialogue, consultation, defense of defenders, promotion and protection of Human Rights and Freedoms. It has no legal personality.
The Commission can only act through the Bar Association.
The missions of the commission
The Commission’s main mission is to promote the protection of human rights and freedoms.
As such, it :
- When seized of a case of violation of human rights (violation of the right of the child, violation of the right of the woman or all other violations of human rights), it proceeds to investigations and gives its report.
- Receives all information concerning cases of violation of human rights and freedoms.
- Study all questions relating to the promotion and protection of human rights and freedoms.
- May make proposals to the government and to international organizations on measures to be taken in cases of violations of human rights and freedoms.
- Seize all national or international authorities of cases of violation of Human Rights and Freedoms.
- To popularize, by all means, the instruments relating to Human Rights and Freedoms and to ensure the development of a culture of Human Rights and Freedoms within the society: through teaching, information and the organization of seminars and conferences throughout the national territory.
- Collects and disseminates national and international documentation related to Human Rights and Freedoms
- Maintains and signs partnerships or any other relations with national and international organizations in the framework of its mission.
Within the Commission on Human Rights and Freedoms, the President of the Commission has created sub-commissions for the better management of the Commission’s affairs. These sub-committees are
- Sub-Commission in charge of Categorical Rights
- Sub-Commission in charge of Civil Rights
- Sub-Commission in charge of Political Rights
- Sub-Commission in charge of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- Sub-Commission in charge of Transversal Issues
- Sub-Commission in charge of the Protection of the Lawyer
- Sub-Commission in charge of Environmental Rights